You have questions.
We have answers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What’s Botanical Origin all about? We’re taking plant-based, household products to the next level: high performance. We’ve started with a range of laundry essentials—detergents and fabric softeners—but more products are in the works.
- What is Botanical Origin’s mission? We want plant-based to be the clear choice when you’re shopping for household products. The reason is simple: We want to help contribute to the future well-being of our planet. To get there, we’re making products that work hard that can also help you reduce your impact on the planet. Additionally, we make them affordable!
- Is Botanical Origin considered to be a safe & environmentally friendly brand? We’re USDA Certified Biobased, which means we use a high percentage of ingredients derived from plants (or other renewable energy sources) in everything we make. Our formulas are sensitive, dermatologically tested and hypoallergenic. Our packaging is made from up to 25% post-consumer recycled plastic. This is just the beginning. We’re always working on expanding our sustainability efforts.
- Are the products hypoallergenic? Yes, absolutely! Our products are dermatologist tested, hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive skin, which isn’t always the case with scented formulas.
- What makes up the actual product? The majority of our products are made up of plant-based ingredients, but the non-botanical parts include:
- Laundry Detergent: The formula is 67% plant-based. The remainder of our formula comes from fragrances (both natural & synthetic), phosphate acid salt (allowing us to use less surfactants), and polyvinylpyrrolidone / vinylimidazole (this inhibits dye transfer from your clothing to keep things bright).
- Fabric Softener: The formula is 71% plant-based. The remainder of our formula comes from fragrances (both natural & synthetic), and antifoam silicone (this prevents foaming during the bottle filling).
- What is the difference between Botanical Origin and an ordinary cleaner? Botanical Origin has been developed with active ingredients of, well, botanical origin. This means our formulas don’t have any dyes, brighteners, parabens, chlorine, phosphates or artificial preservatives. Also, our products are not derived from petroleum or any other type of non-renewable energy source.
- What fragrances do you have? Our fragrances are infused with essential oils and are inspired by nature, you can find 2 scents: Fresh Jasmine & Wild Lavender and Orange Blossom & Citrus leaves. Our formulas are hypoallergenic and sensitive, but may still contain other allergenic substances. Be on the lookout for when we release an unscented option if you need plant-based products without fragrance.
- How do you extract the fragrances from nature? Our fragrances are infused with essential oils. The perfumers who make our fragrances use a process called hydrodistillation. This creates a higher-quality essential oil. They start by boiling stems and flowers to capture the vapor. Then, through a decanting process, solid molecules are extracted from the essential oils. No solvent is used: just flowers, stems and water. For creating these scents, our experts also obtain what they call the "absolute”. A cold extraction is carried out. First, the molecules that provide the essence of the fragrance are separated and purified using a renewable solvent to eliminate any residue. This brings out the most profound and intense olfactory notes.
- Does Botanical Origin have parabens? No! We’re paraben-free, as well as, free from dyes, brighteners and artificial preservatives, chlorine and phosphates.
- Can Botanical Origin be used on baby’s clothes? Our laundry essentials are hypoallergenic and have been dermatologist tested, also the Laundry Detergent doesn’t contain any preservative at all, while the Fabric Softener only has naturally derived preservatives.
- Does the laundry detergent work on tough stains? Yes it does! Our laundry detergent works against the toughest stains such as: wine, coffee, spaghetti sauce, make up, ink, mud, grass, gravy, blood, grape juice, and many others!
- How should I use the laundry detergent?
1. Use the bottle cap to measure the amount of detergent.
2. Add your clothes to the washing machine.
3. Choose your wash cycle.
4. Each bottle contains 72 loads, if measured to the first line on the cap. Here’s a chart showing exactly how much you’ll need depending on the size of your laundry load.
- Medium Loads, fill to line 1 / 0.75FL OZ
- Large Loads, fill to line 2 / 1.50 FL OZ
- HE full loads, use full cap / 2.30 FL OZ
For best results, follow our recommendations on the bottle. If you use too little detergent, the product won’t work as well. If you use too much detergent, it can leave your clothes with residue, even after rinsing.
- What do I do if I have tough stains in my clothing? For stubborn stains, pre-treat your clothes by applying a small amount of detergent directly on the stain.
Rub the detergent into the garment and let it sit on the stain for a few minutes.
Run your normal wash cycle.
- How should I use the fabric softener?
1. Shake well before pouring.
2. Use the bottle cap to measure the amount of fabric softener.
- For medium loads, fill to line 1 or measure 0.68 FL.OZ (20 ml)
- For large loads, fill to line 1 twice or measure 1.35 FL.OZ (40 ml)
- For He Full Loads use full cap or measure 1.79 FL.OZ. (53ml)
3. Pour into the fabric softener drawer.*
4. Add your clothes to the washing machine.
5. Choose your wash cycle.
6. Enjoy soft and fresh laundry after drying. Preferably nicely folded, too.
*Don’t have a fabric softener drawer? No problem! Simply add it during the rinse cycle — just be sure to pour it into water pockets, avoiding direct contact with clothes and other products.
- Why do I need to shake the fabric softener before using it? Some of the ingredients may begin to separate from each other. (You can see this for yourself since the bottle’s transparent!) This doesn’t impact efficacy or mean it’s gone bad. But a quick shake will help with the consistency.
- Can you hand wash clothing with the laundry detergent and fabric softener? Yes! Just adjust the dosage based on how much clothing you’re hand washing at once.
- Can Botanical Origin be used in all water temperature settings? Yes! Our formulas are designed for all temps, even cold water!
- Can Botanical Origin be used in HE and regular machines? Yes, our formulas are hybrid and can be used in both machines. Head to our product pages for more details, including images of the bottle labels.
- What is PCR? And how much does Botanical Origin Use? PCR is post-consumer recycled plastic. This is plastic made from existing plastic containers, which is a much more sustainable option. Botanical Origin uses between 0-25% PCR. We’re hoping that we can increase this in the future. By 2022 we’re aiming to have 100% PCR packaging.
- Is the packaging recyclable? Yes, but you have to check if your local facilities are able to recycle them, you can find out more information on the bottle and on www.how2recycle.com
- What are Botanical Origin’s sustainability goals? We’re always expanding our sustainability efforts! Right now we’re working towards hitting a few important milestones: using 100% post-consumer recycled plastic by 2022; an entirely new run of renewable packing by 2025; and then, by 2040, we want to be completely carbon neutral!